SEE REPORT 2017
Southeast European Startup Report is the most comprehensive and in-depth overview of the startup ecosystem in the region. While this region is a hidden startup scene for many, even in Eastern Europe, that does not mean that its startups do not have much potential. In 2017, they have shown that founders in this region can also create unicorns, and many more could follow in the future. In all eight countries of the region, there are startups, supporting institutions, interesting technology, and founders with an ambitious mindset believing that even in this part of Europe, globally successful companies can be created. This report will show that their belief is well founded.
Who needs to read the report?
- Startup and scaleup founders from the region and abroad
- Policy makers
- Corporations interested in regional high-tech startup
- Business angels and Venture capital Fund managers
- Scholars and consultants
- And others interested in startups and the Southeast Europe.
The report will show:
- Company profiles of the best startups in Southeast Europe
- In-depth country analysis of each national startup ecosystem in the region
- Comparative analysis of the ecosystems, its startups, and policies
- Opportunities and challenges for startups and policy-makers
Table of contents
2. About EIT digital
3. About ABC Accelerator
4. Objective of the report
6. Main insights
7. Country reports
8. Top startups in the region
9. Opportunities and recommendations
10. Conclusion with limitations and suggestions for further work
Reviews of the report
Dr. Ales Pustovrh
Author of the report
Southeast Europe is a hidden startup scene for many, even in Eastern Europe. However, that does not mean that its startups do not have much potential. In 2017, they have shown that founders in this region can also create unicorns, and many more could follow in the future. While fragmented, the startup ecosystem in Southeast Europe is open, collaborative and successful, creating a role model for future co-development of the regional economies also in other industries. Its mix of public and private partners, startup and scaleup companies, researchers, technology experts and young entrepreneurs with global ambitions, is perfectly balanced to help support startup development. With small improvements, especially in attracting more equity investors, it has the potential to turn the Balkans into the next Baltics.
‘This is really a great report! We are very interested in the South-East European region including it’s the less well-known parts. The report’s comprehensive descriptions of local ecosystems are very useful for us. We will basically use it as our Lonely Planet when we set out to discover the ecosystems that we have yet to know well.
Thanks again for sharing with us!’
Fil Rouge Capital
‘At Fil Rouge, we are constantly monitoring the best start-ups and scale-ups in the region. This report was able to gather all the best investment targets in one place – and even introduce some new prospects that we did not know about previously.’